Industrial and commercial buildings are most commonly covered by a flat surface roof system.
Historically, flat roof systems have been built up with layers of roofing material called a ,,built-up roof (BUR).
BUR flat roofs are often preferred by both the building owner and contractors as it provides flexibility and availability for many different roofing materials to be used in its construction, such as layers of asphalt and tar.
This system has been effective, but many new constructions and retrofits have moved to a single-ply membrane roof system. This newer flat roof technology and single-ply membrane are more lightweight and cost-effective.
Prokol liquid protective coating is a ‘cold-applied, pure polymer liquid waterproof coating for roofs’ that, although considered new, has been used in the roofing industry for over 35 years with excellent results.
Read on to discover how Prokol can benefit your roof:
What is a Single-Ply Membrane Roof System?
Single-ply roofing uses pliable sheets of plastic-procured material to provide cover and protection for (mostly) flat-roofed buildings.
These buildings are typically found in industrial or commercial settings.
These single-ply roofs, when installed correctly, are more advantageous than the older BUR system because they are durable, flexible, strong, and easier to apply.
There are three main types of single-ply roof materials:
- Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO)
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
- Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM)
Each material has been rated for its quality, including its puncture, weather, fire, chemical, solar resistance, and its sustainability. While EPDM has been a top-choice for roofers and is a quality product, TPO is considered to be the top of the line.
Single-ply roofs are typically constructed in one of four different ways:
- Mechanically Attached: This system secures the flat roofing material by attaching mounting plates through the insulation to the roof deck, placing the membrane, and finally affixing to the underlying plates.
- Ballasted: The ballasted system supplies great coverage at a small price. It uses panels of rubber roofing membrane that is placed on the insulation and is then enclosed by ballast (i.e. river-washed stone).
- Induction-Welded Installation: The induction-welded installation system is used when the mechanical attachment is not possible and can decrease the need for fasteners by a large margin.
- Fully Adhered: Fully adhered is typically used on roofs that are slightly sloped. The mounting plates fasten the roof insulation to the roof deck and then bond the single-ply roof to the insulation.
What are the Advantages of a Single-Ply Roofing System?
Single-ply membrane roofing systems are simple and quick to install, which means lower installation costs for the building owner.
Single-ply roofs have an extended lifespan, which is also a cost-saver for the owner, and maintenance and repair costs for this type of roof are generally less expensive.
Single-ply flat roof membranes are more environmentally friendly than their counterparts and can be recycled when not needed.
In fact, this type of roofing system can easily be converted to a green roof.
Not only is a single-ply flat roof more accessible for maintenance, but the placement of HVAC units and other exhaust systems on the roof is also more effective, as the surface is level.
This increased HVAC efficiency is another way for a building owner to save money.
Finally, this type of roofing system is more energy-efficient as it is a single layer, and UV resistant.
This means that there are fewer repairs required and the roof does not deteriorate as quickly as some of the other materials on the market.
Prokol Protective Coating
Prokol’s waterproof, fire-resistant protective coating is ideal for use on roofs, stairs, and floors.
It was developed in the Netherlands and is meant to be applied for long-lasting protection against water and maintenance—and is the primary option for knowledgeable roofing contractors.
There are different types of protective coatings produced by Prokol, such as:
Each product is designed for specific uses, but each maintains the usual MonoSeal properties, such as 1530% Elongation, 35 min potlight, UV and chemical resistance, and a 1-hour cure.
MonoSeal and its sister products are remarkable. Applied cold, it is seamless, durable, and weather-resistant when it cures. The absence of seams means the absence of joints, which are typically a point of weakness for leaks with flat roofs.
When used on your flat roof, you can reap the following benefits of MonoSeal:
- The building, will be cooler: Without a black tar roof, your building will not absorb the heat of the sun. The reflection of the protective sealant means your building will deflect the rays of the sun, reducing your need to lower the thermostat to compensate for the heat.
- Reduce energy consumption: There is less energy required for air conditioning. This will save you money and decrease your carbon footprint.
- Roof leak protection: Not only will your roof be weather-resistant, but you will also mitigate mold and mildew from forming.
- Extend your roof’s life: Prokol’s products are designed to keep your roof protective and repair and maintenance-free longer, which translates to a longer lifespan for your roof.
The location of Prokol’s origins is important.
The Netherlands is below sea level which makes the Dutch particularly good at designing waterproof products that do not leak or require frequent repairs.
Prokol has an engineered protective coating to outlast the product to which it has been applied.
This means that when used in a roofing application, your roof will remain relatively maintenance and repair-free
MM Dynamic Roofing
MM Dynamic Roofing specializes in ensuring that your roof is solid and functional.
Our professional team of roofers is skilled at protective coating so that your roof has a long lifespan.
From residential to commercial, we can coat your roof with the highest quality product and we are equipped to take care of any roofing project that you may have.
11 Satten Ln
For more information on our roofing options and operations, please visit our ,,website.